Changes log for the MEI AS Pure Maths Tests
Author : Ron Knott : all enquiries to
- 7 August 2007
- Some minor updates to Geometry: Equation of a Circle
and the way some suvat equations are displayed and the position of the buttons on
Differential Equations: Second Order
- 10 April 2007
- Bug fixed in Polynomials With New Roots; buttons now change to show when the mouse is over them and
when clicked. This, as withthe change in button style, is so that button increase in size with the rest of the text
when the font is changed in the browser ( Zoom or Text Increase/Decrease depending on your browser)
as do all equations in oder to help visually impaired users.
- 4 April 2007
- The second order differential equations test now has questions on particular solutions too.
To select these explicitly, include "?qu=partic" or "?qu=gen" after the URL.
- 3 April 2007
- Minor changes to Geometry: Equation of a Circle and
Polynomial Differentiation: Gradient and Normal;
new test Complex Numbers: Multiplying and Dividing in Polar Form
- 15 March 2007
- New Test: Modelling Population Growth solving equations
involving logs and exponentials
- 12 December 2006
- New Test: Statistics: Linear Coding
- 5 December 2006
- Calculator now has a button to swop the values in A and B;
New test: Statistics: Mean and SD
- 16 November 2004
- New Test: Complex Numbers:Polar Form
- 3 November 2006
- The Mechanics: suvat Tests answers now include a pull-down box to explicityl state how many solutions
there are. If there are two solutions, including negative values, both must be given.
The Choosing a suvat equation (multiple choice) Test can now
have a URL parameter "fixedorder" to maintain the same order of choices in all questions as in
MechSuvatEquns.html?fixedorder. Remember that to preserve this option,
you must use the Browser "Reload" ("Refresh") button as New Question (and the test title) generate questions of
the default type.
- 29 October 2006
- New Test: Mechanics: Applying suvat equations which can
also be parameterised as mentioned under 27 October 2006.
- 27 October 2006
- Mechanics: suvat equations, two tests added:
Choosing a suvat equation (multiple choice) and
Solving suvat equations (algebraic manipulation)
which can have the variable to find specified and/or the missing variable e.g.:
- 19-20 October 2006
- Differential Equations added: First Order (separation of variables),
Second Order (Auxiliary Equation, distinct real roots)
- 6-18 October 2006
- Arithmetic Series: Terms,
Geometric Series: Terms, and to display of negative fractions on all
- 1 September 2006
- All Tests involving complex numbers can now have the symbol used for the
imaginary value changed to
by putting "?imag=i" (change i to I, j or J too) at the end of the URL
or, if there are other parameters (eg ref=12345) then put ",imag=i" at the end
The Calculator has a new look.
Powers and Logarithms: Modelling Population Growth,
Extensive changes to
Simple Trig Values
- 15 August 2006
- Polynomials with New Roots by default chooses a
quadratic, cubic or quartic. It now has options to limit the maximum degree to
only quadratic ;
only quadratic or cubic.
- 4 November 2004
- New test on Graph Transformations (translations and shears) added.
- 2 November 2004
- New Question button romoved - click on the Title of a test now to generate a new question;
Partial fractions test added to Polynomials.
- 18 August 2004
- minor updates to Polynomial Definite Integration;
new: Algebra: Complete the Square,
Polynomials: Remainder Theorem
- 13 August 2004
- Revised tests: Arithmetic Series: Formula manipulation
| Geometric Series: Formula Manipulation
| Slope of a line | Coordinates and Angles
| Equations from Log-x and Log-Log graphs
| Differentiation: Gradient and Normal
- 5 August 2004
- Several tests have been corrected. Tests affected have revision date 4 or 5 August 2004.
- 21 July 2004
- Tests with a specific question type are now implemented. Use the links above where variations in questions
are available. Note that 'e.g.' introduces specific tests (fixed question) to illustrate special features
and are not selectable by the test page (the type of question is generated at random). Use the initial link for all types of questions
to be generated at random.
The HELP page now reflects the action of the buttons.
- 20 July 2004
- Some terms now have a reminder
if the pointer (mouse) rests on the word without clicking e.g. Geometry: Collinear Points
All the buttons have the feature too.
- 4 June 2004
- Vector Magnitude, Operations and Angle now include 3-dimensional vectors (the lines are 2D and the plane is 3D).
- 2 June 2004
- New: Quadratic and Line Intersection, Polynomial Division; Series AP Formula manipulation; Series GP formula manipulation;
Revised: Arithmetic Series Terms;
- 22 May 2004
- Most tests altered; globals files and some images updated.
- 19 May 2004
- New: Powers: Fractional and negative; Vectors: Magnitudes;
Operations; Angle between two vectors; Vector Equation of a Line; Vector Line to
Cartesian form, Vector Plane Equation using the Normal.
- Updated GeomCircleTanNorm, GeomCircleAndLine,
solution of quadratics with a constant factor.
- Several tests updated, corrected and worked solution changed.
The Help and New Question buttons now appear at
the top of the page on either side.
- Diagrams added to the Worked Solutions for Area Of A Triangle Given 3 Sides and
Area Of A Triangle Given 2 Sides and An Angle.
- New: Geometry: Circle and Line Intersection.
New: Algebra: Simplifying Surds.
New: Logarithms: Equations from Log-Log and Log-x graphs.
The generator of numbers for new Tests has been improved. The examples above and any Test's URL
containing a reference number will now have a NEW reference number.
- New tests are Geometry: Equation of a Circle, Geometry: Tangent and Normal to a Circle,
- Polynomial Curve Sketching:Shape added.
- Links can now be added at the end of any Test by putting them in the file "links.js" which
contains instructions and an example.
- The calculator now has trig and inverse trig functions, in degrees or radians,
and computes logs to any positive base.
- The Calculator is now more compact and has a new icon.
Several more Tests now contain the Calculator icon.
Point names on triangles etc are now consistently boldened.
Algebra: Form and Solve Quadratic Equations now detects if the Formula is needed or
if the quadratic can be factored and gives the appropriate method in the Worked Solution.
- New Test: Polynomials with New Roots - the most complicated test in this suite.
- New Tests: Sum and Product of Roots of a Polynomial, Polynomial from Roots
- New Tests: Polynomial Definite Integration and Indefinite Integration.
The Calculator is now a separate window and is therefore available for all the tests although only
certain ones will give an explicit link to it, as indicated above.